Parents

School History

The school opened in the 1950’s, catering for children between the ages of 11 and 15. At this time the school had around 400 students.

During the 1960’s it expanded when the Modern Languages and Humanities block and the Gym were built. In the 1980's a lot of dramatic changes to the school took place. In 1982 the Biology Labs were built, before major renevation in 1989 saw the original part of the school being demolished because maintenance costs were too high, with the school being substantially rebuilt over the following three years.

In 1997 the new covered swimming pool was opened with money from the Wendover Community Trust, the School’s Parents’ Association, The National Lottery and the Foundation for Sports and the Arts.

The school now has over 1000 pupils aged 11 to 18.

About John Colet (1467 - 1519)
John Colet was born in London in 1467. His father, Sir Henry Colet, was a wealthy merchant who was twice lord mayor of London. John Colet studied at Oxford University and was ordained deacon in 1497, and priest shortly afterwards. He travelled to France and Italy and then returned to teach at Oxford. He had a great friendship with the Dutch scholar Erasmus, which began around 1498.

He was a leading exponent of Humanism and believed that the study of the Bible was the only route to holiness. He attacked abuses and idolatry in the Church and anticipated the Reformation, although he himself would never have considered a formal breach with the Catholic Church. His views were too radical for some and in 1512 he was accused of heresy by the bishop of London, however, the case was later dismissed.

He became dean of St Paul's Cathedral in 1505, a position he held until his death. In the same year as this appointment, he inherited a great fortune from his father which he used to endow the St Paul's school in London, which was refounded in 1509. He wrote statutes to dictate how the school should be run and remained highly influential in its early years.

Colet died on 10 September 1519. He died of the "sweating sickness" and was buried on the south side of the choir of St Paul's Cathedral. A stone was laid over his grave, with no other inscription than his name.